With only a few days before we head back to the International Lingerie Show, we’re almost ready for the trip. ?Being based in Australia, it takes an a fair bit of effort to prepare and organise everything prior to the show.
Fortunately, having great people in the US helps take the worry out getting our supplies to Las Vegas and allows us to focus on travel arrangements and preparing for the trip. ?With this being our fourth trip to the ILS and our third as an exhibitor, we’re becoming a little smarter at how we get there and what to expect.
For anyone interested, it’s just over 13 hours flying time direct to LAX from Brisbane, Australia, followed by a few hours stopover before we catch the connecting flight to Las Vegas. ?Total time from arriving at Brisbane airport to walking into the Rio All Suite Hotel is about 22 hours. ?Then another few hours before check in.
From previous trips we’ve come to learn the following-
- Qantas has an awesome entertainment system but get your own headphones (unless you’re in the pointy end of the plane!)
- Jet lag?is a given. ?Inflight drinks do seem to help a little. (see next point)
- Having a partial hangover at LAX immigration is not good. Not good at all.
- Three jumbos arrive at LAX from Australia at the same time each morning. ?Despite how tired you’re feeling, run to customs or prepare to wait. And wait. And wait a little more.
- ?Find coffee, then connecting terminal and try not to fall asleep while waiting for flight to Las Vegas.
- Arrive at Las Vegas terminal and watch all first time visitors stand around in confusion when instructed to catch a train to baggage claim (like we did first time around)
- Avoid the slot machines in the terminal – there are enough at the casinos.
- Arrive at hotel and wait for room by playing penny slot machines and drinking beer for the price of a tip!
- Be amazed at the level of customer service and friendliness of the locals. ?Everywhere. ?Cab drivers, hotel staff and places off the strip. ?Tip accordingly.
- You have as much chance of winning at a Las Vegas Casino as an Aussie one – and if you pick up a win over US$1200, you pay a 30% (roughly) state tax.
- Try not to scream like a girl when in cabs driving around on the right hand side of the road.
For us, the best part is the ILS, the Fashion Show, talking to store owners and other exhibitors about their respective businesses and our own lingerie. ?We like to make a point of walking around the Show a few times and seeing what new products are available and chatting to the owners. ?It’s a fun informative Show, great atmosphere and great organisation. ?There’s never a dull moment in Vegas..